Ahead of his presentation at this December's Digital Print for Packaging Europe conference, we spoke to Julian Joffe, President and Founder at Engineered Printing Solutions, to discuss the challenges of conversion from analog to digital, where he sees the industry heading and more.
Q1. Your presentation will discuss 'The challenges of conversion of analog to digital'. Could you provide a bit more detail on what this will cover?
- The process of justification based upon factors such as speed – Cost of set up etc. –in a nutshell ROI
- The relevance of specific applications influencing complexity of conversion. (Considerations for conversion)
- Technical differences in terms of People and education/skillsets.
- Colours/appearance/quality and customers perception of what is acceptable to them (the status quo)
- I will discuss and compare the various decorating/printing technologies with inkjet.
- The Variety of ink types in analogue verses Ink Jet. ( this will touch on compliance as well)
- Examples of successful conversions. (more generic products in packaging
Q2. Why is this an important topic to discuss and what effect can it have on the industry?
Food for thought and what to plan for when making a change from analog to inkjet/digital, plus to prepare your customers and know yourself what to expect i.e. the possible push-back and the answers.
Q3. Where do you foresee the industry is headed in digital printing?
The digital evolution will continue at a good pace and will replace some analog systems, however, the adoption will not in the foreseeable future replace analog especially in certain areas of manufacturing where ROI and complexity remain as a valve to rapid adoption of inkjet.
Q4. What are you most looking forward to at Digital Print for Packaging Europe 2018?
Hearing the different viewpoints on industry direction and drivers to inkjet, and new technologies that may help inkjet develop more rapidly.
Q5. What are you seeing as the biggest hurdle in industry?
Compliance in food and beverage packaging where applicable.
Q6. Why do you feel it’s important for people to attend Digital Print for Packaging Europe 2018?
Know your industry and your niche within it to be able to contribute to helping your customers grow and compete.
Julian will present as part of the Direct to Shape track session at the conference next month. Other presenters include Velox and O-I Europe, and the session is supported by ESMA.
View the full programme >
Book your ticket >